If you need to know how to connect your iPhone or iPad to a TV, you’ve come to the right place. Here we explain everything you need to know about how to connect Apple device to TV or TV.
In this way, you can mirror or transmit the content from the small screen of the iPhone to the big screen of the TV.
This procedure is as easy to perform as it is useful. While Apple devices have amazing screens (especially the ultra-wide 12.9-inch iPad Pro), it’s often more convenient to play videos and photos on a big screen rather than clustering them around a iPhone or iPad.
This is why we are going to explain to you how to connect your mobile to a television.
If your iPad is slow, do not miss our 10 tips to increase your speed, and if you want to get the most out of your iPhone, you might want to know what is 3D Touch.
Option 1. Lightning Digital to AV Connector Adapter
Probably the easiest way to connect an iPad or iPhone to a TV is to use a Lightning Digital to AV connector adapter from an Apple store.
At its price (59 $), you will have to add the price of an HDMI cable which you will also need. Apple sells HDMI cables for $ 34.95, but Amazon offers much cheaper options: from $ 6.49
This little tool contains an HDMI port that you can connect to a TV, as well as a Lightning output that gives you the option of charging your iPad or iPhone at the same time.
Using a Lightning Digital AV Adapter couldn’t be easier:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the adapter and the other end to an HDMI output on your TV (usually located on the back).
- Connect the adapter to Puerto Lightning from your iPad or iPhone.
- Optional: Connect the mobile charging cable to the Lightning port on your digital AV adapter.
Turn on the TV and set it to display the video from HDMI (usually done by remote control). You will see the main screen of your iPhone or iPad on the TV.
The quality can be quite bad. Don’t worry, this is only the case when displayed on the main page. The quality will improve within seconds.
Start to play a video on your iPad or iPhone. You can choose a movie from the Video app or choose a series from Netflix, YouTube or any other app to play the video.
When you give it to play, you will see the video on a high definition television. On the iPad or iPhone, you’ll see a screen that says Smart TV.
Now go to ‘Control center’, swipe left and choose ‘Video output’ to activate specific content from your iPhone on your TV, as we’ll explain below.
Read on for more ways to connect iPhone to TV.
Another way to enjoy content from your iPhone or iPad on your TV is to use Apple TV and watch videos on diffusion via AirPlay. (There are Apple TV models from $ 159 to $ 219 that you can buy from Apple).
To do this, connect Apple TV to your TV using an HDMI cable, and then connect Apple TV to your wireless network.
Choose the appropriate settings for your TV so that the Apple TV menu screen appears on the TV screen.
Also make sure that you smartphone The Tablet They are connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
- Play a video (via the Video app, YouTube, Safari, etc.).
- Slide your finger from the bottom of the screen to view ‘Control center’. On an iPad with iOS 11, you’ll need to keep swiping until Recent Apps and Control Center (right) appear.
- In iOS 11, you need to tap on the option ‘Screen mirror’, then select ‘Apple TV’. In iOS 10, select “AirPlay”, then “Apple TV”. You may need to swipe left to go to the second page.
- Play outside of ‘Control center’ go out and touch ‘To play’ to continue watching the movie.
- Look for the icon “AirPlay” in your applications.
Some apps like TED Videos have their own AirPlay icon. While the video is playing, tap the AirPlay icon and choose Apple TV to start watching the video in diffusion.
Option 2. How to mirroring
Sometimes you can’t see diffusion a video from an app or web page on the TV. AirPlay compatibility is not universal.
In this case, you will be interested in using the option mirroring. This way you can “mirror” everything that is happening on your iPad or iPhone screen to the TV screen. This is another way to connect your iPhone to a TV.
You will just have to slide your finger up to view the ‘Control center’, select an option “AirPlay” and after ‘Apple TV’.
How to watch videos and photos from your iPhone or iPad on your TV
To view photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad on your TV:
- Open the app ‘Pictures’ and select the button ‘Share’. Choose the photos you want to view by tapping on each one until a blue circle with a white arrow appears.
- Select now “AirPlay” in the contextual menu that will appear and choose ‘Apple TV’. Your photos will be seen on your TV. To change the photo that is displayed, simply swipe your finger left or right.
How to play a photo slideshow
You can also set your photos to automatically appear as a slideshow. For that:
- Reopen the menu ‘Share’, choose the photos you want to see (as in the previous step), but this time, press ‘Slideshow’.
- You will be able to see a menu with different options. To choose ‘Apple TV’ once again. Tap on “Transitions” to customize the look of your slideshow.
- If you want to accompany the presentation with music, slide your finger to the right. Then select the option ‘Song’ and choose the songs you want to play as the slideshow progresses.
- To finish, just touch ‘Slideshow’ to start playing it on your TV.
To play music stored on your iPhone, choose the song, album or playlist you want to listen to, slide your finger up to show Control Center again, select
Your favorite songs will be streamed to your TV.
Apple Composite AV Cable
If you have an older iPhone or iPad with a 30-pin connector, the Apple Composite AV Cable is your best option. You can buy it in the Apple Store or Amazon for $ 25.34.
If it’s an iPhone 4s or earlier, or one of the first three generations of iPads, it will have a 30-pin connector.
IPhone 5 and later, iPad 4 and later, all iPad Air and iPad mini and iPad Mini models have Lightning, so if you have any of these Apple items you won’t have to worry about the composite AV cable.
Works the same as the Lightning Digital to AV connector adapter, except you will need to use the video input composite on your TV instead of the HDMI input.
Make sure the videos you want to watch are in SD instead of HD.
Here are the different ways to connect your iPhone to a TV. And now … to enjoy all the content of your iPhone on the comfortable big screen of your TV!
You might also be interested in: how to install Kodi on your Mac, how to format mac from scratch The how to install Mac OS X without installation discs.
Also, if what you are looking for is how to view your computer screen through the TV, you can check out this tutorial on how to connect a Mac or MacBook to the TV.