YouTube is a great place. On this video platform, you can find virtually anything: from any scene from your favorite movie to compilations of funny falls captured in home videos.
One of the big drawbacks of this Google service, however, is that it requires us to always be connected to the internet to access its content. One solution to this problem is to download YouTube videos.
In this article, we go over three methods to get your favorite YouTube videos on your Mac or MacBook. One of them will let you download audio from video only, a good way to enjoy all your favorite music offline.
If you are looking for a way to save these videos directly to your iPhone or iPad, feel free to check out the Tutorial in which we teach you how to do it. In any case, remember that the rights of the video will remain the property of its author.
Method 1. Download YouTube video with iTubeDownloader
The first option is to use a program like iTubeDownloader. You need to install it for free on your Mac or MacBook first and use it during the trial period if you don’t want to pay for an unlimited account.
1. Go to the official page of
2. Now go to the folder ‘downloads‘from your Mac, find the .dmg file named’iTubeDownloader‘and double-click on it.
3. When the installer opens, all you need to do is drag the program icon onto the folder icon ‘Applications“. This action will open this folder and the downloader will start to install automatically.
4. In the file ‘Applications‘, click on the icon corresponding to iTubeDownloader to open the program. You must give ‘To open‘when a message appears to warn you that it is an application downloaded from the Internet.
5. When you open the program for the first time, you will be asked if you want to start the trial period or if you prefer to pay for the license. In our case, we give ‘Start Trial’ to continue enjoying it for free.
6. After clicking on the ‘Start using iTubeDownloader‘you can start using it. You will see that it has the same interface as YouTube, so use the search bar to locate the video you want to download. In our case, we go to the PCWorld Europe channel.
7. Once the video is located, click on the ‘Download‘which you will see on the left side of the URL. A floating window will appear where you can choose the folder you want it saved to and the name of the file. Finally, press’Download“.
8. Finally, you can now go to the folder where the video is to be saved.
Method 2. Download YouTube video with online downloader
The second way to download YouTube video to your Mac doesn’t require you to install any programs on your computer first. You can just use any video downloader that you can easily find on Google.
1. The first thing to do is locate the video you want to save on your Mac or MacBook. In this case, we have chosen a video from the PCWorld Europe channel to which we have rights.
2. Now copy the URL of the video. You will need it in any downloader online that you use. You can simply right click on the address and select ‘To copy‘or use the shortcut’Order‘+’VS“.
3. Then you can go to the page of the downloader you have chosen – in our case, Online Video Converter-, and paste the URL. Again, you can right click and select ‘Take‘or use the shortcut’Order‘+’V“.
4. You can now donate ‘Start‘to start the conversion. When the download is ready, you will be taken to a new page where you can easily download the video by clicking on the ‘buttonDownload“.
5. Finally, you will be able to locate the downloaded video in your folder ‘downloads“.
Method 3. Download Music from YouTube with Online Converter
The last trick that we are going to teach you in this article will let you download audio only from YouTube video using converter online. So you can have all the songs you want on your computer and listen to them without having an internet connection.
1. First, you need to choose the video you want to download audio from and copy its URL. Then you can go to the converter page – for example, Online Video Converter– and paste it in the corresponding bar.
2. You will need to make sure that the video will be converted to audio. You can choose between several formats. In this case, we opted for the classic .mp3.
3. All you have to do is click on the ‘Start‘to start the conversion. It will only last a few seconds. You can download the audio on the next page by clicking ‘Download“.
4. Finally, go to the “Downloads” folder on your Mac and verify that the file has downloaded correctly.