As you well know, making backup copies is a very important and important task that we often forget. Good copies can keep our computer from possible accidents, to avoid the loss of data, files and documents.
In this article we show you various ways to make backups for your Mac computer: from local originals to remote backup using cloud storage resources.
We will consider Apple such tools iCloud either software Same with Time Machine.
What's the best way to back up a Mac?
There are many different ways to support a Mac, but if you had to choose one, which one would be better?
The easiest and cheapest way to use software free from Apple, designed for backup, Time Machine. Only extra costs if you need an external hard drive, but today you can get one these devices are excellent prices.
However, can we really say that Time Machine is the best way to back up your Mac? What we can 100% say is that the best way to protect your files is to use different backup methods at the same time.
Below we list different options for Mac support.
Option 1. Time Machine
As we explain, Time Machine comes fully automated with macOS and is a very simple and cheap option. Of course, you'll need to be external hard drive or SSD.
A time machine will perform backups whenever you wish, which can be a great way for your data to be protected regularly. The only downside is that you will need to always remember to connect the external hard drive or no copy will be made.
You will also need a lot of memory storage, because copies of Time Machine usually take up a lot of space. We recommend having more than 1 TB. Time machine backup:
- Connect a hard drive or SSD (or you can also connect NAS Disk).
- A message will appear on your Mac asking if you want to use a disk connected by Time Machine. Click on & # 39; Used as disk backup & # 39; option.
- If you do not see this message, make sure that you have correctly connected the disk and that you have Mac OS extended.
- If you do not see the message, then go to & # 39; System Options> Time Machine> Storage disk & # 39;
- Select a disk to connect and click & # 39; Use disk & # 39;
Option 2. Use the backup system to modify your hard drive
Obviously, there are alternatives to Time Machine that you might like for various reasons. We recommend looking at the best backup software, among which:
And you will need to have an external hard drive, and you must remember that the disk is always connected so that backups can be done automatically (and configured).
Generally, you should follow the following steps (the same for all programs):
- Connect the external hard drive.
- You may have to format external disk before you can use it. In that case, open & # 39; Disk Utility & # 39; and in the selected external drive, click & # 39; Clear & # 39 ;, choose extended macOS (Journaled) from the format options and click & # 39; 39; Erase & # 39; and.
- Open software the backup of your choice.
- Of course the program gives you the option to copy the internal storage of your Mac to an external drive. You should pay attention to what you are going to copy, make sure you copy all the files, otherwise your clone will not be able to explode.
- Before we start copying, you may need to enter your password to make sure you are willing to erase everything on the external drive.
- Wait for the merge process to take a moment, when done, click & # 39; OK & # 39;
Option 3: iCloud
This option will depend on whether you pay Apple monthly iCloud subscriptions or not. If possible, iCloud can be a way to support your Mac.
This solution can be very useful especially if you have more than one Mac and want to access the same files from your devices (including iPhone and iPad). To backup your Mac with iCloud:
- Open & # 39; System Preferences & # 39; on your Mac and click & # 39; Cloud & # 39;
- Sign in to iCloud.
- Check the box to CLOUD.
- Click on the & # 39; Options & # 39; next to iCloud.
- Make sure that the boxes for everything you want back in iCloud are checked.
- Open & # 39; Finder & # 39; you will see the iCloud Drive folder in the upper left corner. Click to open it. You can move any folder to your Mac that is not on iCloud for copying and can be accessed on other Apple devices.
With these options, on any device connected to the same Apple ID you can have access to the same files and these same system & # 39; System options. Plus the fact is that backing up iCloud means you don't have to have external drive.
Please note that some of the proposed options may allow you to easily retrieve someone from your old Mac to a new Mac, including apps and all settings, but iCloud does not allow this option.
But you will have access to all the data you used to store iCloud, and when it comes to applications, you'll be able to enter the ones you downloaded from the Mac App Store just by connecting and accessing the shopping list.
Option 4: Dropbox, Google Drive or other storage device
There are many ways to use iCloud if you are looking for a way to sync and share your files. You might already be using it Dropbox, Google Drive either Microsoft OneDrive.
As with iCloud, these services that allow you to subscribe to data systems will allow you to store all your files in the cloud. Remember that you can't make your Mac either, just save files such as photos, videos or documents.
- Sign in to cache, Download the software and install it on your Mac.
- Once software installed, open Dropbox. You will see an interface where you can copy all the files.
- Click & # 39; Upload files & # 39; or & # 39; Upload folder & # 39 ;, find the folder you want to upload and click & # 39; Select & # 39; Please wait while the folder loads.
- You can easily drag your folders and folders files to Dropbox by using & # 39; Find & # 39; When DropBox is installed on your Mac, you will see the DropBox tab in the Finder & # 39; Favorites & # 39; section of the Finder, just drag and drop any file into that folder and it will be moved back to Dropbox and can be accessed from any other computer or device for iOS caching and installing.
Option 5: external backup
The two front options allow you to sync and share files between different devices, in addition to keeping them secure in the cloud if your computer fails.
There are solutions online designed to make backups similar for example Carbonite which will back up your website on-line. You have to pay, but Carbonite also offers a 15-day free period.
The advantage of one of the cloud backup services is that the backup is remote, so if your Mac is destroyed by fire or flood and your Time Machine backup, you'll have a copy of all your data in a safe place.
If your Mac fails, gets lost or stolen, you can recover all your data thanks to this cloud record, as long as you have access to the Internet.