A new service on the MyHeritage platform, specializing in family trees, is all the rage: Deep Nostalgia allows us to relive our ancestors from a simple photo. We explain how to access this awesome image animation tool using artificial intelligence from your Android.
Imagine you have a black and white photo of a relative you haven’t been fortunate enough to meet. Static, his features unchanged and frozen in an instant long gone. Too: artificial intelligence can animate such a photo to almost bring the person represented to life. And the best part is you can get it straight from your Android: it’s Deep Nostalgia from MyHeritage. Be careful, it makes a good impression.
Artificial intelligence brings photos to life. Literally
MyHeritage is a platform that dedicates its services to families who wish to keep their memories for posterity. The company allows create a complete family tree, offers DNA analysis and it has different sections with which to save familiar data to photo album pictures. And this is precisely where the new feature that has exploded in popularity points: Deep Nostalgia.
In Engadget Android
The nine best photo editors for Android
The aforementioned Deep Nostalgia applies different three-dimensional facial animations to static portrait photos (images should be in fairly good condition). These photos can even be improved: the platform itself offers tools to automatically restore old portraits. They work great, as does Deep Nostalgia itself.
To revive your old photos (always with close-up portraits), you need to do the following:
- Move the photo you want to revive to the device where you will be using Deep Nostalgia.
- Download the MyHeritage app or access the web from your mobile browser. Currently, the app seems full: if you can’t register, use the browser.
- Touch register: Deep Nostalgia cannot be used without a MyHeritage account. You can use the email and password or use the connection
- Once you have your account, navigate to the “Photos” section. It’s at the bottom of the cover and in the side menu to the left.
- Click on the ‘+’ at the bottom and choose the photo you want.
- Click on “Upload”: the image will be uploaded to your photo album.
- Navigate to the downloaded photo and click on it.
- You will see that several icons appear at the top. Click on the “Animate” button.
- Wait for the AI to analyze the photo and revive it – this may take half a minute.
- Once the person is resuscitated, you will see that MyHeritage gives you the possibility to choose between different animations. Try to see what effect is achieved with each of them.
- If you are in the phone browser, you can directly load the photos page from this link. Then follow the process of the application: download the images from the camera icon (top part), click on the downloaded photo and then on the animation icon.
- When you have chosen the animation, click the button to download the video and it will be downloaded to the device. The only downside is that it will have a MyHeritage watermark.
The process for animating old photos is simple, but a bit cumbersome. In the event that the app does not display the animation option (it looks like MyHeritage could have eliminated it), you can access Deep Nostalgia from the mobile browser. The results are identical.
Deep Nostalgia is an integrated service on MyHeritage. It’s free for a limited number of photos. In case the platform does not let you animate more images try to use web service from mobile browser.