In our first impressions and a complete analysis of the new Pro Magic keyboard we point you in: the add-on offers the iPad additional USB-C charging port. This way we can use it to charge the app simultaneously when we use another external storage port in an integrated port, for example.
However, it seems that loading on that port doesn't work with all the adapters and third-party threads or guarantees. That's what other users have found in the MacRumors forums, which is a measure we recently highlighted on its cover.
Results of our experiments
I did some tests with my iPad Pro charging port (2020 11-inch model) and my magic keyboard and here's what:
- Charges via USB-C port for magic that's fine if I use an 18W official cable and power adapter.
- Charges via USB-C port for magic it's not good when using an Amazon Basics USB-C cable and Anker energy adapter with multiple USB ports. The message you can see appears in the image above in the top right corner of iPadOS: "it does not charge"
- Charges via USB-C port for magic that's fine When I use Amazon Basics USB-C cable and the official 12W adapter installed on older iPad models.
- Charges via USB-C port for magic that's fine when using the Amazon Basics USB-C cable and the official 18W power adapter.
- Charges via USB-C port for magic it's not good when using the Amazon Basics USB-C cable and the Amazon Basics power adapter with multiple USB ports. Message "appearsthis finding is not compatible with this device"on the iPadOS lock screen.
Personally I posed it as a question of the power of those adapters, the Magic keyboard may have some requirements higher than the USB-C port of the IP itself. This port accepts responsibility for all cables and adapters I mentioned, although some of them are slow
It is possible that a software update could change this, but in the meantime the best thing we can do is to use the official wires and adapters to charge the iPad Pro through its magic keyboard. And if not, remember to use at least those with a MFi certificate to avoid risk.