The HomePod and HomePod mini are Apple’s two smart speakers. These are two very useful speakers, especially if you have a lot of devices on the block. We have compiled a series of tips so you can get a lot more out of it.
Tips for HomePod and HomePod mini
Apple speakers are very interesting and we can use them for a lot of things, these are some of the best tips.
Send messages or WhatsApp from HomePod
The HomePod is able to send messages on different platforms, iMessage, WhatsApp, Telegram, WeChat, Viber, Skype or LinkedIn among others. You can also send SMS.
All you have to do is say “Hey Siri, send a WhatsApp message”, or from Telegram or iMessage, HomePod will ask you to tell who you want to send it to and to dictate the content of the message.
How to update HomePod
Being a device without a screen to use, you might not know how to update HomePod, and it is essential to update the software of your devices to make them work in the best possible way. HomePod and HomePod mini are updated from iPhone and we need to follow these steps:
- We access the application House.
- We click on the top button with the house icon.
- You should now click on Home Settings.
- Come down until you see Software update.
- You will see if there are any updates and you can activate automatic updates
How to rename HomePod
If you have more than one HomePod, it is essential that each have a different name to avoid confusion, so that you can do it:
- Enter the app House.
- Hold the HomePod button.
- Scroll to settings and press the name that appears right under the music and alarms.
- Type it name you want.
Send songs from iPhone to HomePod
Both HomePod and HomePod mini are compatible with this feature which allows us easily send content from one device to another.
If we play a song or a podcast on the iPhone, just by bringing it closer to the HomePod, the content will start playing on the speaker. And the same thing happens in reverse. This is a feature that can be used by any user you add to the Home app.
HomePod and HomePod mini have a small screen on the upper area which is tactile. With some keys you can control your speaker.
- Touch once: Play or pause music or Siri.
- Double tap: Skip the song.
- Press three times: Song backwards.
- Maintain: activate Siri.
- Press or hold + or –: Increase or decrease the volume.
Find your iPhone
he HomePod and HomePod mini are a great ally to find your iPhone if you don’t know where you left it. Like the Apple Watch does, the iPhone will play a sound so that you can locate it.
- It suffices to say: “Hey Siri, where’s my iPhone?”
- he HomePod will tell you it’s in contact with your iPhone.
- your IPhone will start to vibrate and make a sound.
Siri has a lot of tricks
Siri is the lifeblood of HomePod and HomePod mini, and with the assistant, we can do a lot of very useful things in our daily life.
- Translate sentences from one language to another.
- Check the weather forecast and weather forecasts for all cities around the world.
- Convert different units, such as the number of kilometers in a mile.
- Increase the volume or adjust it to a percentage.
- Add lists or reminders.
- Start the timers and set the alarms.
- Create notes, which will be synced with your iPhone or iPad.
- Play your favorite music, song, artist or some genre.
- Play a specific podcast.
- Play different sounds, like sea waves or the roar of a lion.
- Find nearby places like restaurants or shops.
- Control the connected accessories in your home.
Use Spotify on HomePod and HomePod mini
Yes, although Spotify is not yet 100% compatible with HomePod, you can use Spotify on the Apple speaker. To do this, you will need to use your iPhone:
- Enter Spotify on your iPhone.
- In the Spotify player click on AirPlay at the bottom left.
- Select the HomePod from the list.
You can change Siri’s voice on HomePod
Just like on the iPhone, you can choose from multiple languages and voices for Siri. If we select the Spanish of this country, we can have two voices, male and female. To change the voice, do the following:
- Enter the app House.
- Hold the HomePod button.
- Scroll down to settings and click Siri voice.
- To choose whichever you prefer.
Use Intercom to send messages to members of your household
It is a new function that allows us communicate and send audio messages with other HomePods and devices in your home. It is ideal for, for example, if you are away, sending a statement that you are coming back. All you have to do is say, “Hey Siri, intercom [cualquier frase]», Here you have all the information about this function.
HomePod is able to call any contact in your phonebook using your iPhone. You just have to say Hey siri is calling [nombre de un contacto]” and Siri on HomePod will initiate the call. HomePod and iPhone must be close together and connected to the same Wi-Fi network for calls to work.
Send websites to iPhone
You can search the web and HomePod will send them to your iPhone so that you can consult them. For example, you can ask, “Hey Siri, search the web for New York travel guides” and HomePod will tell you that it sends them to your iPhone, where you will receive a notification with the search results.
Siri can run shortcuts
The Shortcuts app is one of the most useful on iPhone and from HomePod we can control the shortcuts that allow it. For example, we can activate scenes to control the smart home, but you can run any compatible shortcut.
Send content from your iPhone, iPad, Mac or TV
Both HomePod and HomePod mini are AirPlay compatible, so you can send content from any device that is compatible with this system. Fortunately there are already many TVs compatible with AirPlay, and of course all Apple devices are.
Hope you liked these 14 tips for your HomePod and HomePod mini, they are two excellent speakers with a lot of potential inside.