Activision Blizzard results for the quarter ended September 30, 2020 have exceeded expectations for the group, whose growth is such that more than 2,000 hires are expected to meet production needs.
On a quarterly turnover of 1.67 billion euros (+ 52% over one year), revenues from microtransactions and DLCs account for around 1 billion euros. “The main driver of our performance has been Call of Duty, which has expanded to PC, console and mobile with the launch of free-to-play experiences. The franchise has become a social ecosystem that connects and engages our players to an unprecedented degree “
Activision Blizzard has more than 10,000 employees currently and plans to create 2,000 more jobs, said CEO Bobby Kotick at VentureBeat. An announcement that comes almost two years after the dismissal of 800 employees (8% of the total workforce at the time), and the confirmation earlier this year of the closure of Blizzard’s offices located in Versailles and The Hague.
|Period||Turnover||Operational profit||Net profit|
|July to September 2020||1.67 billion euros||667 million euros||517 million euros|
|July to September 2019||1.09 billion euros||211 million euros||174 million euros|
To continue its growth, Activision Blizzard remains focused on six: Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, Candy Crush and Call of Duty. These last three left to generate more than a billion dollars each over the year.
- 111 million monthly active players.
- 662 million euros in turnover, 295 million euros in operating profit.
- Call of Duty Warzone: 80 million downloads since launch (March 2020)
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare: Strongest sales in franchise history after one year. 66% of sales were made through downloads.
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2: Biggest launch in franchise history in the United States. Over a million sales in eleven days.
- 30 million monthly active players.
- 352 million euros in turnover, 113 million euros in operating profit.
- Overwatch: 10 million monthly active players.
- HearthStone: Number of hours played up compared to last year.
- World of Warcraft Shadowlands: Higher pre-orders than any other expansion at the same stage. Engagement for the MMO is higher than it was at the same stage for previous expansions.
- Diablo Immortal will soon enter the external regional testing phase.
- 249 million monthly active players.
- 459 million euros in turnover, 212 million euros in operating profit.
- Candy Crush: number of active users on the rise. Still the highest grossing franchise in the US mobile gaming market.
- Nearly 10 million pre-registrations for Crash Bandicoot: On the Run !, scheduled for March 25, 2021 on iOS and Android.
Source: Activision Blizzard