Well, someone will fry us a war elephant! Completely out of nowhere Microsoft and Relic announce a closed beta for Age of Empires 4. And it’s starting very, very – and we emphasize – very soon. In our overview you will find all information about the start time, content and most importantly: how you participate.
Start date: When does the Age 4 closed beta start?
Already on 5. August 2021 the closed beta of Age of Empires 4 opens its gates. So maybe that’s just enough to submit vacation requests. But don’t worry: at least you have a little time until the whole thing ends again.
When does the closed beta end?
Am 16. August 2021 the fun is over again. So you have around 11 days to dive into all the mechanics, try out the multiplayer and anchor the shortcuts in your memory.
Show me a trailer
There is currently a lot of discussion about the graphics of Age of Empires 4. Some fans do not think it is of high quality, others are completely satisfied. Here you can get your own picture:
Age of Empires 4 Responds to Graphics Criticism – How Much Better Does It Look Now?
Content: What’s in the Age 4 beta?
For a first closed beta, the test version of Age 4 is pretty packed with content. You can try out the first campaign mission, throw yourself against the AI in skirmish matches or challenge real people. Four of the eight races are already playable! Let’s unravel the whole thing.
- Campaign mission: You will get the Age 4 Campaign Prologue Mission to learn the basics of the game. So settlement administration, training of new units, raw materials knocking out and first battles.
- Skirmish: The skirmish mode gives you the option of competing against the AI or against real opponents.
- Multiple maps: The closed beta contains a “small” part of the launch ensemble of playable maps. According to the developers, they will be a cross-section of several biomes – so you don’t just get European forests as a scenario.
- Spectator-Modus: If the host allows it, you can take a look at other beta participants in the current game.
The playable races are:
- Chinese empire
You can find more about the factions, their strengths and weaknesses in our overview of all playable races of Age of Empires 4.
How do I take part in the beta?
The closed beta is aimed exclusively at so-called Age Insiders, i.e. participants in a special beta program for which you can register. But be careful: this period ends soon! Very soon. You have to until Wednesday, August 4th at 2 a.m. at night on the Age Insider Page to register.
However, this does not automatically give you access to the closed beta, but simply throws your hat into the ring and increases your chances. Once you have registered, you have to follow a few more steps:
- Upload your DXDiag and link it to your Age Insider profile to ensure that your system is ready for Age 4. Without this step you will be kicked out of the participation pool.
- Verify your email address: You know the game from all kinds of services. Verify your mail.
- For Steam fans: If you want to take part in the beta via Steam, you have to link your Steam account to the Insider profile and select Steam in the Beta tab under “Beta Preferences”.
So remember: there is not much time left to register for the closed beta. If you are unlucky: There may be an open beta at a later date. And it’s not forever until the final release. The game should appear by the end of 2021 – in other words, a maximum of four months. Until then, you can try out one of the best strategy games of all time. Or read a book about the Middle Ages.