This year, Age of Empires 4 is the long-awaited successor to the series that has had a lasting impact on real-time strategy. An exact date for the release has not yet been given. Microsoft has announced the release for autumn 2021.
However, some lucky players can play the Age of Empires 4 Beta be forehand. How you can get one of the coveted beta keys yourself is explained below.
Age of Empires 4 Beta through the Insider Program
How you can participate in the beta: The Microsoft Insider Program allows you to participate in the beta. Microsoft has created a separate page for registration on which you can register for the beta. You can find them here: Age of Empires 4 Beta Registration Insider Program.
What you have to consider when registering for the beta: Keys for the beta will be given out for the Xbox app and Steam. Fill out a questionnaire on the registration page for the Insider Program. Only those who are in the program have a chance to get access to the beta. When you register, you sign a confidentiality agreement, or NDA for short. Then fill out a questionnaire.
How to register for the beta:
- Preferred email: Information about the beta will be sent to this e-mail
- Country and Region: The country you are in
- Beta preference: Microsoft Store and / or Steam
- Optional, if you have selected Steam: Linking the Steam account
- Which titles of the Age of Empires series did you play: Here you can select several titles. DE stands for »Definitive Edition«
- Which other RTS (Real Time Strategy) titles have you already played: Multiple choices are possible
- Which playstyle do you prefer: Multiple choices are also possible. For example: Singeplayer campaign
- Your age: Choose your age from the age range. There is also the option of not making an entry. A later change is possible
- Your gender: Multiple selection with the option to change the specification later
- Upload DxDiag.XML file: At this point you upload the system information in XML format. You will learn how to carry out the step in the next paragraph.
- On the following page you will get an overview of your data and can send it off.
- Confirmation of the data: You will receive an email with a link. Verification must take place within seven days. The sender of the mail is [email protected] or [email protected]
- Optional: Creating an account for the Age Forum
Create and save DxDiag.XML: To register for the Age of Empires 4 Beta, Microsoft needs an overview of your system. Under Windows 10 you can get the overview as follows:
- Type in »dxdiag« in the search field in the task bar and confirm with Enter
- The DirectX diagnostic program opens
- Click on “Save all information”
- In the new window you select XML file (* .xml) under »File type«
- Save the file in any folder
- You download the .XML file when you reg ister for the Insider program
How to find out if you’re in beta: If you are selected for the beta, you will receive an email with all further information. Alternatively, it is worth checking the website for the Insider Program regularly. If you want to bridge the waiting time, you can get one Fan preview on the Age of Empires website look at. The content presented there will be expanded over the course of the next week and months.
When does the Age of Empires 4 Beta start? There is currently no date for the start of the beta. As soon as the start date is known, you will find out from us.
What you need to know about the beta: Every participant in the beta signs a confidentiality agreement in advance. Recording videos or streaming is prohibited and may lead to exclusion. You are allowed to talk to friends about it, but not show any content.
If you want to take a look at the gameplay before you log in, you can do so here and listen to expert Maurice:
Age of Empires 4 – What excites Maurice and what still worries him
What else you need to know about Age of Empires 4
We have put together all the information we know so far for you:
Are you looking forward to the Age of Empires 4 beta? What are your hopes for the RTS title? Let us know in the comments!