Do you also feel uncomfortably reminiscent of the alien films when you read the terms space and horror in one sentence? This is the notch that Haunted Space wants to strike, looking really good thanks to ray tracing technology and entertaining even hardcore fans of the genre with simulation. An adjustable co-pilot should also allow more relaxed arcade gameplay.
According to the developer, Haunted Space will appear “soon” on Steam as well as for PS5 and Xbox Series X | S, the studio Italian Games Factory will not be more precise. We introduce you to the space game with story and exploration focus including complex boss fights and explain where exactly the horror is now.
The art design of the spaceships and ghostly aliens in particular creates goosebumps, as the gameplay trailer shows:
Space simulation Haunted Space shows gameplay and ray tracing effects in the trailer
What does Haunted Space offer?
- Story and exploration form a focus: Humanity is advancing into an alien galaxy in order to capture the extremely valuable resource »mass of sound«. For this purpose, pioneers set up a plant called »Metal Nut«, where the sound mass is broken down. Players can explore “multiple star systems” in Haunted Space. But people are not alone.
- Ghostly Aliens: In the trailer you can see strange spaceships that seem to be alive. There are also huge space creatures in the new galaxy, described on Steam as “supernatural”. So here is the horror again.
- Dynamic fights: The space dogfights against the alien threat should play fluently and quickly – and require a lot of skill.
- Complex boss fights: Haunted Space features “ancient and god-like creatures” made from biomass and space junk. These nasty colossi are supposed to be particularly hard to defeat as boss opponents. This is ensured by a multi-level combat system, which presumably offers different game mechanics in several phases and should therefore require well thought-out tactics.
- Simulation or Arcade: How hard and realistic the flight experience in Haunted Space is, players can determine themselves. If you wish, a co-pilot will help you with all the technical fuss, if you just feel like some action. At the highest auxiliary level, the title also aims to include blind and visually impaired players. Simulation fans, on the other hand, should find their happiness with countless switches and levers.
- Trade, farming and shipbuilding: The game lets you buy ships and design them yourself. In addition, you comb through space for resources that you can sell or use for crafting spaceship components.
- Ray tracing graphics and sound: The developer relies on optional ray tracing effects to stage space and to increase immersion. The audio effects should also emphasize the mood.
- System requirements with error: On Steam the system requirements of Haunted Space remain surprisingly moderate. However, an error has apparently crept in here, since DirectX 10 is now being used, although this interface does not support ray tracing at all.
You can also see what the mysterious ghosts and bosses in Haunted Space with raytacing technology look like in the picture gallery:
Haunted Space: Screenshots ansehen
Many questions still open
Although the Steam page and the gameplay trailer already give a good insight into the concept of Haunted Space, some important questions still remain unclear:
- When exactly will the game be released? “Soon” is a time that has become a meme in the game industry because it’s so vague. But at least it doesn’t cause disappointment if an appointment cannot be kept.
- How is the price range? Haunted Space looks like a high-quality game in the presentation. Which price is targeted remains open so far.
- Is it too good to be true Italian Games Factory is based in Milan and Bologna and consists of the developer and publisher IV Productions and the graphics production company iMasterart. IV Productions was involved as a developer in Feudalism, which was based on Steam not achieved a good rating. The protest simulation Riot: Civil Unrest was also moderately rated by gamers in collaboration with IV Productions.
For clarification: No definitive conclusions about the quality of Haunted Space can be drawn based on previous games, but we didn’t want to withhold the information from you. In view of the previous titles and the ambitious project, a healthy dose of skepticism is definitely in order. However, the developers have already announced that they will soon reveal more about the space game.