Magic: Legends – New trailer explains the deck construction of the action RPG
It has now been almost exactly a year since there was last news about Magic: Legends. At that time we showed you the first gameplay scenes and explained the strange, card-based combat system of the action role-playing game:
more on the subject
Magic Legends: Erstes Gameplay & Details
A lot has happened in the past twelve months, because now the developers have not only announced a new video, but also a start date for the open beta.
This is how you build your own class
Since Magic: Legends is based on the popular trading card game Magic: The Gathering, cards and deck building should of course not be missing here either – they are even the great unique selling point of the upcoming Diablo and Path-of-Exile competitor.
In the new trailer, which you can find at the beginning of this article, Design Lead Adam Hetenyi from Cryptic Studios explains the Fundamentals of the card system:
- Your character has equipped a deck of twelve cards at all times. In Magic: Legends, the cards represent spells and abilities that you can actively use.
- Four of the twelve cards are available at the same time. If you have cast an ability, a new card is drawn from your deck and equipped.
- Each player begins the game with a starter deck of a selected color. In the course of your adventure you can find new cards to customize your hero to your liking and make them more powerful.
For deck building in Magic: Legends, the five colors
- Red spells rely on elemental powers to cause high damage.
- Blue spells obscure the minds of opponents and control the battlefield.
- Green spells summon powerful companions and make them even stronger.
- White spells specialize in healing powers.
- Black spells make use of necromancy and bring the dead to life.
You can read why some new action role-playing games like Wolcen or Torchlight 3 have failed in the column by colleague Peter – let’s hope that Magic: Legends does better:
more on the subject
Why action role-playing games failed in 2020
You can play from March
At the same time as the new trailer video, it was also revealed when you can become a planeswalker yourself and conjure your way through the different levels of the multiverse: If there is no further shift in between, Magic: Legends starts on March 23, 2021 into the open beta phase.
For the time being, however, only on the PC: Magic: Legends will also appear later on PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X / S, but only PC gamers are allowed to sniff the open beta.
Whether the open beta equals a releaseAs is often the case with Free2Play games, or whether there will be a content wipe at the end of the beta phase, is currently not yet known.