Sony had warned us a long time ago: The launch of the PlayStation 5 and its various accessories would come in several steps, based on a series, dear Edwy Plenel. While the manufacturer said last month that the future of virtual reality would not play out before 2022, here we are waiting for the new controllers that will equip the future PlayStation VR 2.
See also: Play at Home: 10 PS4 and PSVR Games Coming Soon, including Horizon Zero Dawn
If the tracks sparked the arrival of a hypothetical helmet on Microsoft’s side yesterday, that’s official Sony is lifting the veil on the controllers of the PS VR 2 todaywhich you can now find in pictures in our gallery below.
The sacred sphere
Without surprises The two controllers, referred to as Orbs by director Hideaki Nishino, are part of the continuity of the DualSense and take over its haptic functions. Sony is undoubtedly inspired by Valve and its index controllers, and insists on their ergonomics and freedom of movement, which they should provide for future adventurers with a helmet, rather than one for Microsoft and its famous “Duke”:
When developing this new controller, we made ergonomics a priority. So you will find that it is well balanced and comfortable to hold in each of your hands. We have applied the results of our tests with users with different hand sizes as well as our knowledge from decades of developing controllers for all PlayStation platforms.
Here are the first features put forward by the Japanese manufacturer:
- Adaptive triggers : Each VR controller (left and right) has a button with an adaptive trigger that creates a noticeable voltage when the player is pressed, similar to the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game before, this tension will remind you of the tension you already felt when you pressed the L2 and R2 buttons, e.g. B. to bend a bow and shoot an arrow. Once applied to VR, this type of mechanic increases the intensity of the experience.
- Haptic feedback : The new controller offers haptic feedback that is optimized for its dimensions in order to make every sensation in the game more effective, structured and nuanced. As you traverse a rocky desert or switch blows from body to body in collisions, you will fully feel the difference. The extraordinary audiovisual experience that occupies a central place in the VR experience is amplified.
- Finger contact detection : In the areas where you place your thumb, index or middle finger, the joystick can recognize your fingers without you having to press a button. This allows you to make more natural hand movements during your games.
- Followed : The VR controller is monitored by the new VR headset via a tracking ring on the underside of the controller.
- Analog action buttons / joysticks : The left joystick contains an analog joystick, triangle and square buttons, a hold button (L1), a trigger button (L2) and the create button. The right joystick contains an analog joystick, the cross and circle buttons, a hold button (R1), a trigger button (R2) and the option button. For example, objects in the game can be picked up with the gripping key.
Much information is still missing and we must therefore keep in touch to discover in the near future the design of the headset that accompanies these new haptic controllers and the first games to use it.