According to the latest data, AMD controls sales in Europe with a wide margin of share sometimes up to 90%, yet this data is far from true in terms of global consumption statistics.
Sales of AMD vs Intel CPU worldwide
Last week, AMD reported revenue recording an increase of 56% over the same period last year. In addition, its financial viability was confirmed by the acquisition of Xilinx, a manufacturer of FPGAs, for a contract valued at $35,000 million. However, and apart from the fact that AMD apparently sells more and more processors due to the good results given to new generations of Ryzen CPUs, the fact is that in terms of usage things are still very similar to current times…
AMD is improving, but not as much as you might expect.
In the graph above you can see a comparison of market share between Intel and AMD according to Statistics from the first quarter of 2012 to the third quarter of 2020. According to these figures, AMD sales at this time are 37.3. % compared to 62.6% of Intel (which is the third CPU), while while this represents the highest share of AMD and the lowest Intel in the last 8 years, it seems to be much less than it would be to wait and see European sales for those. reds.
For its part, a Steam Hardware study revealed that 25.79% of Windows players use the AMD CPU, while 74.21% use the Intel CPU, and in the past five months th is figure shows that the pendulum swings slightly to the side of AMD.
The graph you c an see above is similar to PassMark usage statistics, which have been used for decades to measure market share between AMD and Intel. According to this, the “pincer” has been closed in recent times in favor of AMD, but in recent months Intel has also expanded the distances slightly. Here AMD also has a 36.3% share, leaving 63.7% of Intel’s pie. The data, as you can see, corresponds exactly with that shown by Statista.
If AMD sells too much, why not have more market share?
One thing is to sell in stores or supermarkets, another thing is usage statistics. This means that while AMD sells more in stores at the consumer level, Intel maintains a large market share and a high level of sales due to the technology industry, as they have agreements with major OEM manufacturers that, in the end, are the largest suppliers of PCs worldwide (and millions) of units each year).
In other words, if Intel has agreements with manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, ACER, etc. so that their OEM equipment is equipped with brand processors and are the best sellers in the world, eventually there are many groups with their own processors and their sales level and market share is still very high, although AMD is increasingly selling to the consumer channel.
This means that, although according to CPU sales figures in stores we see that AMD has a market share that sweeps the Intel and almost leaves them out of their cake share, ultimately at the global level Intel sales are still coming, so as its market share continues. Well, Intel is distrustful because AMD is slowly consuming more and more shares, and it approaches them and closes that “pincer” on the share graph we saw above.