The days of Google’s unlimited storage for you to download all your photos and videos in high quality are numbered. In fact, the deadline ends on June 1. After the date, you will have your standard allowance of only 15 GB.
According to this, unless you subscribe to one of the storage plans in the cloud that offers Google drive, you will not be able to continue to keep all of your photos and the ones you take in the future.
In order to prevent you from losing photos and videos stored under your account registration, we are going to show you step by step how it is possible to download all this content to your computer or hard drive to save them and free up some space.
Either because you want to make a backup copy of all your images or because you want to migrate to another cloud storage service, here we show you how to batch download all your photos and videos from Google.
You may want to know the current prices for hard drives or local storage systems. We have articles on the best external hard drives and SSDs,
Please note that Google will not delete your photos and videos after June 1. They will always be there and available to watch them. The change is that from that date, photos and videos that you store later will be deducted from your allocated quota, even in high quality.
How to download multiple photos from Google Photos
It’s the easiest task to do, with the incentive that the process is the same whether it’s downloading photos or videos from Google Photos.
- First, go to Google Photos and click the check mark in the upper left corner of the photos or videos you want to download. If you are using your computer, hold down the “Shift” key and click further down the photo list if you want to select multiple photos at once.
- Click on the three dots at the top right and click “Download” (or use “Shift + D”).
- Your download should then begin.
How to download all Google photos at once (on PC or hard drive)
Downloading all of your photos at once from Google Drive is a less straightforward process. If you try to download all your images using the above method, you will find that there is no way to batch download everything directly to Google mobiles.
Instead, you will have to go to Google Takeout.
Google Takeout lets you download all of your Google Account data, whether it’s your Chrome browser history, Google Play activity, Google Play Books, Hangout history, or Google Pictures.
- Go to Google Takeout and click on “Deselect all”; This ensures that you don’t download your entire history from Google.
- Scroll down and select Google Photos.
- Click “All included photo albums” to download only specific albums from Google Photos.
- If you haven’t separated all of your images into albums first (probably few have), Google will automatically separate them for years to come.
- Once you agree with your selection, click “Accept”.
- Scroll down to all services and select the next step.
- In the export settings, choose how often you want to download all content from Google Photos.
- You can also choose whether you want the final exported compressed file to be emailed to you or to another cloud storage option.
It is also possible to select the desired size for each exported Zip file. The default setting is 2 GB and the maximum size is 50 GB. Exports larger than 2 GB will be compressed into Zip64 files.
- Then click “Create Export” when you’re ready.
- Your files will start to be exported. You may need to wait a few minutes depending on the size of your collection.
- Once the export is complete, you will be able to upload your photos by clicking on “View exports”.
- You can now download each exported Zip folder to your hard drive or computer. The created download link will expire after a period of one week.
- If you have chosen to receive an email notification, you can also download the exports from your Gmail inbox.
- You will receive a security clearance email from Google to confirm that you are the one requesting to export their photos, not someone else. You may need to allow it before you can upload your photos and videos.
If you’ve made it this far, you’ll be interested to know what it is Google One and its pricing plans, a subscription that will allow you to get the most out of Google.
Pay attention to our ranking of the best cloud storage services.