NordVPN is one of the most popular VPNs for its excellent value for money, solid service, and the large number of available servers it offers.
This VPN doesn’t tend to present a lot of issues when using the NordVPN appEven so, there may be a configuration failure where you encounter errors while trying to connect to some servers.
On the other hand, while we recommend NordVPN, it’s also handy to consider all of the available options. So you can take a look to our article on the ten best VPNs of 2021.
And if you’re having trouble with your internet connection speed: how to speed up NordVPN.
Problems connecting to the internet with NordVPN tend to be related to your account, app settings, or even the server itself. Before going into more complex solutions, you should try to find out where the problem lies.
- Try to connect to several different servers. If you can’t connect to either, try the NordVPN app on another device, like your phone. If the connection is working properly, the problem is with the original equipment you used.
- If you’re still having trouble signing in, the problem could be your network or a problem with your NordVPN account.
- Another quick fix if you can’t access another device is to sign out of your account (in the app) and then sign back in.
- Still does not work? Uninstall the app, reinstall it, and sign in again. If even that doesn’t work, temporarily disable your antivirus and / or firewall on your PC or laptop and see if that’s what was blocking the connection.
- Finally, you can select a different connection method in the app to see if that makes it different. Connection options vary depending on the device you are using, but if you go to “Settings” and click “Show advanced settings” you will find the “Protocol” header. Choose a different one than the one currently selected and try to connect again.
If none of this worked, follow the steps we offer below in order.
Step 1. Account setup
Log into your NordVPN account and make sure your account status is “Active” and the last payment was successful.
If you can verify and see that the account is active and the last payment was successful, you can be sure that it is not an account issue.
If on the contrary, you cannot verify it, we recommend that you contact customer service and resolve it. If you need to subscribe again, Click here.
Step 2. Configure the application
Open the Windows app and click “Settings” at the top. Scroll down and click on “Show advanced settings”.
Scroll down again and click “Run the diagnostic tool.” A new window will open in which you will have to click on “Reset application”.
This will restore all settings to their defaults. Try to connect to one of NordVPN’s servers again.
Step 3. Control panel network settings
If that doesn’t work, try disabling and re-enabling the NordVPN network adapter. To do this, open the “Control Panel”.
Go to “Network and Internet> Network and Sharing Center> Change adapter settings”.
You will see a list of all network adapters, including virtual ones, like the Windows TAP NordVPN adapter.
Right click and choose “Disable”. After a few seconds, you can double-click the disabled adapter to re-enable it. You can now try to connect to a server again.
Step 4. Order
If the “power cycle” trick doesn’t work, there are some commands you can run to reset Windows network settings.
From the “Start” menu, locate the “Run” application. In the text box, type “cmd” and press “Enter.” In Windows 10, you can type “cmd” in the search box or PowerShell. Both will have the same effect.
Now type the following commands one after the other, pressing “Enter” after each one. If you are prompted to restart your computer, continue entering commands and restart them after they have all been executed.
ipconfig / release
ipconfig / flushdns
ipconfig / renew
netsh winsock reset
netsh interface ipv4 reset
resetting netsh ipv6 interface
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
Restart your computer and hope your connection problems with NordVPN they will be a thing of the past.