The first Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War patch notes are here and fully focused on the MP5.
The new patch for Black Ops Cold War has been removed due to MP5, or rather, how broken it was before the new patch was released today. Users were reporting that the MP5 was nearly broken in the online multiplayer portion of Black Ops Cold War, being able to deliver deadly blows to players who should have been out of range from a machine gun.
Now, however, the problem has been fixed with this new patch. You can wander the multiplayer maps of Black Ops Cold War without fear of being attacked by an MP5 because, as you can see in the tweet just below, the MP5’s base ranged damage has been reduced by a whopping 33%, and developer Treyarch also adjusted the initial recoil of the weapon so it is no longer as accurate.
#BlackOpsColdWar update: We’ve reduced the base effective damage range by 33% and adjusted the initial recoil for Submachine Gun Alpha.
Now get out there and try the other four! 👊
— Treyarch Studios (@Treyarch) November 18, 2020
While the tweaks to the MP5 are good news for many, there is still a rather rampant cheater problem in Black Ops Cold W ar. In less than a week since launch, a litany of cheaters has emerged in the game’s online multiplayer modes, including flashing cameras pointing to the use of aimbots, as well as wallhacks. If you expected the post-launch debut patch to fix these issues, you’ll wait a bit longer.
Previously, a major update to Black Ops Cold War during its beta phase focused on sliding. During the alpha phase of the game, it was noted that players were using swipe to gain serious advantage in online games, so Treyarch drastically reduced the effectiveness of swiping in combat. You can read the patch notes below:
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War November 12 Beta Patch Notes
The following modes have been added to the game since beta:
- Search & Destroy
- Hardcore Team Deathmatch
- Hardcore Domination
- Hardcore Kill Confirmed
- Hardcore Search & Destroy
- Hardcore Free-for-All
Fireteam: bomba sucia
There are also some significant changes to Fireteam: Dirty Bomb. Both the Alpine and Ruka maps are getting additional ammo caches and adjusted target locations, while Alpine is also getting more rappel lines. Players will now be able to continue running while adding an armor plate, and they will automatically deploy in the air after 15 seconds in the aerial spawn view, from where radiation images will be easier to see.
If you are downed, you’ll be able to call for help and revives are less likely to fail, as both the downed player and the reviving player will be locked in place. There will also be support for squad erase respawn delays configurable based on squad size.
Build progress will now display on loadout while players are building a bomb, and it will also be clear how many players are helping. If you are in a radiation zone, the security line will not point you out of bounds, but if you are caught, you can also benefit from the radiation vest, a new item that prevents you from taking Damage in the area.
Elsewhere, you’ll get a Combat Bow, VTOL Escord, Cruise Missile, and Gunship added to the Dirty Bomb loot pool, but other spawned items have been adjusted to reduce Scorestreak’s frequency at the higher end. Hind, Tank, and FAV spawns will spawn less frequently, but if someone is ruining you from inside a vehicle, an indicator will now point in the direction of danger.
Speaking of danger, there are many more ways to inform your teammates about the situation around them, as a ton of new pings have been introduced; You can ping from vehicles and while down, ping downed teammates, field upgrades, and dropped C4 explosives, and even get a more accurate ping while free-falling and parachuting.
In other multiplayer modes, players will be able to quickly deploy the parachute at Crossroads and Armada’s VIP Escort and at Combined Arms. In VIP Escort, the VIP will now be brought to the helicopter by a winch operator at the end of the exfiltration, which will now be activated when the VIP approaches the helicopter to give the opposing team more time to react.
The following new weapons have been added:
- FFAR 1 fusil of assalto
- Bullfrong SMG
- M60 LMG
- DMR 14 tactical rifle
- M79 special launcher
The following changes have been made to weapon balance:
- Assault Rifles – Increased recoil of the AK-47, overall assault rifle performance has been adjusted closer to the Krig 6 and XM4 for better balance across the class
- Submachine Guns: The effectiveness of SMGs at longer ranges has been reduced.
- Light Machine Guns: Damage and ADS times increased
- Sniper Rifles – Aiming assist is adjusted to feel smoother but requires more precision, ADS times are increased, scope flash will show more regularly
- Pistols – Hip shot accuracy and max damage range reduced, dual-grip ability added
- Shotguns: semi-automatic rate of fire reduction
Launchers: Launch rockets internal damage increased slightly
- Melee: Slightly reduced running speed with equipped knife
- Recoil & View Alignment – Adjusted to feel more responsive
- Aiming Assist: Adjusted to provide “more anticipated feel for all weapon classes”
- ADS: Tight transitions to feel smoother, Tight roll to reduce rotation, Tight weapon recoil
- Attachments: More attachments have been added and balance across all weapons has been updated “to increase viability across the board.” There are new barrel attachments to offer a shorter barrel length for increased machine gun movement speed, and the enemy reveal range has been increased while using the mounted light attachment
- Weapon levels: increased from 40 to 55
- Stationary turrets: increased use radius
The length of the slide has been shortened and the speed of the slide has been reduced. Finishing a sprint to shoot is now faster than sliding to shoot.
Cloak speed has been increased for all cloaks.
Combat Bow, Armor, Assist Pack, Cruise Missile, VTOL Escort, and Gunship scoring streaks have been added. Points streak earning potential has been improved in all modes, with increased score bonus thresholds on streaks of 10 kills and 15 kills. Attack Helicopter damage has been increased to 3 hit kill from 5 hit kill, while Chopper Gunner damage and duration have been slightly reduced.
General spawn adjustments have been made in all modes, and Gunboat enemies will now correctly cancel spawns within their line of sight.
Anti-aircraft vest damage reduction reduced by 5% and the sound that occurs when an enemy targets you with Paranoia equipped has been adjusted.
Frag recoil speed has been improved, Stim Shot cooldown increased from 8 seconds to 11 seconds, and decoy duration decreased from 20 seconds to 15 seconds. Decoy will now play a static sound effect every few seconds.
Field Microphone Listen Radius reduced by 10% and cooldown increased from 3 minutes to 3:30.
The following new features have been introduced:
- Military ranks up to 55 in standard player progression
- Seasonal prestige player progressions, starting at launch after completing military rank 55
- Challenges for campaign, multiplayer and zombies
- Unlockable weapon camos
- Player and weapon customization
- Combat record
- Theater stand
- Multiplayer bot support
- Finishing movement support
- Weapon Inspect Technical Support
To see what we made of our extensive time with the multiplayer portion of the latest game in the Call of Duty franchise, head over to our Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War review for more information.