With the new HomePod mini, Apple introduced the Intercom function. It’s an interesting novelty that allows members of a house to communicate very quickly with any of their devices.
You can send an Intercom message to another iPhone, iPad or HomePod wherever you are. It’s something that happens almost immediately and allows for very fast communication. We will teach you how to set up and use Intercom on your devices.
How to configure the intercom
To use Intercom, you must have created a house in the Home appand invite the users with whom you want to use this function. When you have it, just follow these steps:
- Enter the Home app.
- Click on the house icon above.
- From the menu, click Home Settings.
- In the center appears Intercom, press it.
- Select where you want to receive notifications.
- Activate people in the house and devices.
How to use Intercom
The easiest way to use this function is pedírselo to Siri, you can do this from HomePod, HomePod mini, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, AirPods, or CarPlay set up with your account. You can use expressions such as:
- “Hey Siri, intercom” It’s time to wake up. “
- “Hey Siri, ask everyone ‘Did you feed the dog?'”
You can also be more specific and send a report to a single device:
- “Hey Siri, the office says ‘The movie begins now.’
- “Hey Siri, ask in the kitchen” What to eat? “”
Another way to the intercom is used via the Home application de nuestro iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Enter the Home app.
- At the top right, click on the sound waves icon.
- Speak the message and click the yellow button when you’re done.
- You can also choose which device you want to send the message to.
How to answer by intercom
HomePod and all devices that have the Home app installed and the app notifications enabled, can receive communications and answer by intercom. In the HomePod and HomePod mini a green light appears and the message is read
In a message sent to a specific room or device, the response will only be sent to HomePod or the device that sent the original message. To answer it, it’s very simple:
- “Hey Siri, answer” I’m on my feet. “
- “Hey Siri, answer ‘We fed him this morning'”
You can also respond to a single device
- “Hey Siri, answer in the living room” What movie are you watching? “
- “Hey Siri, answer” What you have prepared “below.
Intercom compatible devices
The intercom is compatible with many devices, the only requirement is to have at least iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2 or watchOS 7.2 installed.
- HomePod mini
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (all models)
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPad Pro (all)
- iPad (from 5th generation)
- iPad mini (from 4th generation)
- iPad Air (from 2nd generation)
- 7th generation iPod Touch
- Apple Watch Series 3
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch Series 6
Hope you will take advantage of this new feature, if you have several HomePods scattered around the house. it is the most useful. But it can also be good to communicate quickly when you are away from home.