- Android phones receive updates for different lengths of time.
- Support will end soon for many popular models.
- Devices from Samsung, Xiaomi, Google and other manufacturers are affected.
The duration of support for Android phones varies depending on the manufacturer and model. As a rule, entry-level and mid-range devices receive Android updates less long than top-tier smartphones. But at some point there will no longer be any updates for these either. Many smartphones are threatened with the end of support this year, and they will no longer receive updates.
These devices will soon no longer receive updates:
- Samsung Galaxy S8 (Plus) – estimated end: April 2021
- Nokia 6.1 – expected end of support: spring 2021
- Nokia 7 Plus – expected end of support: spring 2021
- Xiaomi Mi A2 – expected end of support: summer 2021
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8: estimated end: October 2021
- Google Pixel 3 (XL) – Support End: October 2021
- BlackBerry Key 2 (LE) – August 31, 2022 at the latest
- Nokia 8 Sirocco – estimated end of support: autumn 2021
- Nokia 8.1 – expected end of support: autumn 2021
- Motorola One – estimated end of support: 2021
- Samsung Galaxy S9 (Plus) – expected end of support: April 2022
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 – expected end of support: autumn 2022
Users of a Samsung Galaxy S8 (Plus) and the Galaxy Note 8 are threatened with the end of support soon. The Galaxy S8 will only receive updates until April 2021, the Note 8 until October 2021. The devices have already been downgraded from monthly updates to quarterly.
For the Galaxy S9 (Plus) support should end in April 2022, for the Galaxy Note 9 in autumn 2022. Before that, smartphones will receive one last major Android update, because Samsung is currently distributing OneUI 2.5 for cellphones.
The Google Pixel 3 smartphones will only receive updates until October 2021, after which it will finally be over. Google does this on its own Support website communicated.
Android One devices from Nokia and Xiaomi reach the end of support
Support for the Nokia 8, 8.1 and 8 Sirocco will also end in 2021. Users of a Nokia 6.1 and 7 Plus are threatened with the end in spring 2021, the other devices will probably be supplied with updates for a few months longer. All devices are part of the Android One program and have almost reached the end of the guaranteed three-year support period. The same applies to the Xiaomi Mi A2. Support is expected to end here in summer 2021.
Owners of a BlackBerry Key 2 (LE) shouldn’t hold their breath for an update either. The manufacturer TCL, which owns the trademark rights, has already announced that it no longer wants to bring BlackBerrys onto the market. Until August 31, 2022, they would like to at least offer service and warranty for devices that have already been sold. It is unclear whether this announcement also includes software updates.
In our Android 11 update schedule you can find out which Android phones will definitely receive an update to the next version. And also a list of update candidates for Android 12 we have put you together.